mercredi 6 octobre 2010

"Santiago - Santander (Tuesday, 05/10).

"Santiago - Santander (Tuesday, 05/10).

Will continue this blog until my arrival back home - seeing that the Ploumanach lifeboat is going to organise an exercise (it is not they that have thus called this operation): 'pilgrim recuperation in Roscoff' - that must be worth reporting! For those who are not famliar with these coasts: Roscoff is on the Northern coast of Brittany half way between St Malo and Brest and a ferry port for Brittany Ferries who go between Plymouth and Roscoff.

So after a restless night I had coffee in bed again, eat some more of the remaining food, a few pieces of 'pain grille' (don't know the word in English) with salty butter and my last banana. In Santander I will not need to be out early, so I will be able to have breakfast in one of the numerous cafes.

At the bus station I rang the Hospedaje Magallanes where I had stayed with the girls, but they were 'complete', I had a bout of panic 'No roof for me! Will end up sleeping in the street', but I will ask at the bus station this evening and at a pinch I can always become a pilgrim again and stay, cheaply, at the albergue which is conveniently located both to the bus station and the Brittany Ferries terminal. Or, now I come to think of it, I could go to a 5* hotel and live it up! I wonder what they would make of me with my pack!

Anyway for now I am in the bus to Irun which will throw me out in Santander at 6h40 pm - oh what a long bus ride. However I am very appreciative of the fact that I am dry and warm because it is raining! The weather forecast is awful, not only for Galicia but for the whole of the Northern coast of Spain. And for the days to come as well! Talking to my support team yesterday, they said that in Brittany too the weather had been awful.

Advancing at high speed is also a change and seeing the not so large band along the road where I used to walk! The girls kept telling me to walk right along the edge, away from the traffic - which I did after that....

The bus ride is most interesting (when I am not nodding off!) because I know the landscape and recognise many things - the camino is quite intertwined with the road system and I remember many a time when I had to follow the nacional - this being so late in the year, today I have seen only one pilgrim walking on the nacional.....

Arrived in Santander allright, the weather became quite good in the end, a hint of sunshine, no black clouds and no rain! I found a cheap pension near both the bus station and the Estacion Maritime. No private bathroom, but I just can't be bothered to look elsewhere." 


Je continue mon blog jusqu’à mon arrivée à la maison. Je vois que la station de Ploumanac’h va organiser un exercice de récupération de pèlerin à Roscoff, cela vaut la peine de le raconter. Pour ceux qui ne sont pas familiers de la cote nord de la Bretagne, Roscoff est situé à mi chemin entre St Malo et Brest et c’est un port qui accueille les ferries de Brittany Ferries qui font la navette entre Roscoff et Plymouth et aussi vers l’Irlande.
Après une nuit agitée, je prends mon café au lit (comme toujours) mange quelques restes de nourriture : des morceaux de pain grillé avec du beurre salé et ma dernière banane. A Santander rien ne m’oblige à me lever tôt, je peux donc prendre un vrai petit déjeuner dans un des nombreux cafés.
J’ai téléphoné à l’Hospedaje Magallanes depuis la gare routière ; j’y avais séjourné avec les filles, mais aujourd’hui c’était complet. J’ai eu un moment de panique: pas de chambre pour moi ! vais finir par dormir dans la rue ? ! Je peux toujours redevenir un “pèlerin” et dormir dans la modeste auberge qui est bien située entre le terminal des ferries et la gare routière. Ou pourquoi ne pas dormir dans le luxe d’un hôtel cinq étoiles !! Je me demande ce qu'ils feraient de moi avec mon sac à dos !!
Quoi qu’il en soit, je suis dans le bus qui va à Irun et qui me déposera à Santander à  18H40. Quel long voyage en bus. J’apprécie cependant le fait d’être au chaud et au sec car il pleut dehors. Les prévisions météo sont horribles, pas seulement pour la Galice mais pour toute la cote nord de l’Espagne.Et ce sera de même pour les jours suivants. Mon équipe logistique m’a dit qu’il avait fait mauvais aussi en Bretagne.
Le fait d’avancer à grande vitesse est aussi un grand changement et voir le coté étroit de la route sur lequel je marchais est étrange ! Les filles m’avaient conseillé de marcher bien contre le bord de la route, aussi loin que possible de la circulation. J’en ai tenu compte.
Le voyage en bus est intéressant (quand je ne somnole pas parce-que je connais les paysages) je reconnais beaucoup d’endroits, le camino est souvent entrelacé avec le système routier et je me rappelle le nombre de fois où j’ai du prendre la nationale. Je n’ai vu que peu de pèlerins car on est maintenant tard dans la saison.
Je suis arrivée à Santander sans souci, le temps est  devenu plus clément et il ne pleut pas.  J’ai trouvé une pension bon marché proche à la fois de la gare routière et de la gare maritime. Il n’y a pas de salle de bains privative mais je m’en accommode.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire