vendredi 30 mai 2014

Last Day

Final thoughts on this year's experience

I am writing these down at random as they come into my head.

The total distance I walked is.514 and 547 with climbing.... Bernard, can you work this out for me please - I gave away my German guide book and lost the French one!

My gear was very well. I gave my inflatable matress and a sweat shirt to Andrea to take back - did very well without. Still carried too much food on my back.

Apart from the first very hot days, the water supply was good. However, since I cannot estimate how much water is left in the camelbag, I always carry a small bottle in case the camel bag runs dry - then I can "space" out the water in the bottle over the remaining distance - this happened once and I was extremely glad to have the little bottle.

The distances I walked were good - could have done 30 km more fre, but on this camino you often have very little choice because there is nothing in between the two places suggested for an etappe. I have never had any problem with my feet - did not anoint them specially or massage them; so I am extremely lucky in that respect. No knee or other leg problem either......

However much more than 30km a day I cannot take. No matter how much time I have for breaks arriving late, I feel my feet cannot take any more - and since I do not want to ruin my feet, I do not try and test how far I might go.

Very lucky weatherwise this year! After all the rain last year, this time I had only one hour of rain while actually walking - rain while sitting in a restaurant (the same day) and rain during the night very occassionally. But the heat during the first few days was almost too much! It became hot so early.

As to the camino itself - this one was different somehow. The Norte and the Primitivo ressembled each other. This one, following largely the original Roman "calzada",  had long stretches of straight (straight as drawn with a ruler) stony path, track or even road - the following generations of roads had simply been built on the original ones. Thus you have parts of the Nacional 630 covering the old Roman road.

Since the camino followed heights mostly (to avoid being inundated, I have heard), often there was a superb view over vast landscapes. This is what I have seen so far - the second half of the camino, going through the mountains, is likely to be different - have to study my map of Spain.

And last not least, I have to spend more time doing the walking alone. This I had been looking forward to and, what with one thing or another, it did not quite happen that way......

Am on my way home - after 15 hours on the bus I am having coffee in a bistro in the station of Rennes. Will go out in a minute to sit somewhere and have the bocadillo and apple I brought from Spain for my breakfast.

PS to the final thoughts:  here is the number of kilometres walked without consideration of the various stretches with a more or less steep elevation: 514 km, and with consideration of the increased effort needed to go up it is 547 km.


Dernières pensées sur l'expérience de cette année.
Je rédige cela en vrac selon ce qui me passe par la tête.
La distance parcourue est de 547 km incluant les suppléments dus au dénivelé positif , sinon 514 km .
Mon équipement était parfait, j'avais donné mont matelas gonflable et un sweat-shirt à André pour qu'elle les prenne avec elle. Cependant, comme je ne pouvais estimer avec précision ce qui restait dans mon camelbag, je portais toujours une petite bouteille d'eau au cas où ...
Cependant je ne pouvais faire plus de 30 km de marche quotidienne.Quelque soit la vitesse ou le nombre de pauses, mes pieds refusaient d'en faire plus et comme je ne voulais pas "me fâcher" avec mes pieds, je n'ai pas oser tester ni voir quelles étaient mes limites
Excellentes conditions météo cette année. Après la pluie de l'an dernier, cette année je n'ai eu qu'une heure de pluie en marchant, le reste tombant pendant que j’étais à l'abri dans un bar ou restaurant et parfois pendant la nuit. Par contre la chaleur a été difficilement supportable pendant la première semaine, il faisait très chaud dès le matin
Cela a été différent aussi pour le "camino". Le chemin du nord et le chemin primitifs se ressemblent. Celui de cette année suit majoritairement une route romaine, a de longues lignes droites (aussi droites que si elles étaient tracées avec une règle), des sentiers caillouteux, des pistes et même des routes. Les générations de routes qui ont suivi ont tout simplement été construites sur les bases des anciennes. On a donc une partie de la fameuse nationale 630 qui couvre la voie romaine. 
Le fait que le chemin suive plutôt les hauteurs (j'ai entendu dire que c'est pour éviter qu'il soit inondé), fait que la vue est magnifique avec des paysages étendus. C'est pour cela que j'avais la vue qui portait au loin. La seconde partie du chemin, serpentant dans les montagnes, est différente. Je vais devoir étudier ma carte d'Espagne. 
La prochaine fois je ferai en sorte de marcher plus souvent seule, ce qui n'a pas été le cas cette fois ci.
Je suis sur le chemin du retour à la maison, après 15 heures de bus, je sirote un café dans un bar face à la gare de Rennes. Je vais sortir dans un moment, m’asseoir quelque part et manger un bocadillo et une pomme ramenés d'Espagne ; cela fera mon petit déjeuner.
PS aux pensées de fin de marche. Voila les nombre de km parcouris sans prendre en compte les dénivelées positives et négatives : 514 km et en tenant compte des montées et des efforts supplémentaires : 547 km
.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire